A writing journal can be a valuable tool for many people. It can serve as a way to document ideas, organize one’s thoughts and plans, or feelings, as well as a creative outlet for writers, artists, or anyone who wants to express themselves on paper. However, one question that often arises is what size should a writing journal be? The experts at Epica explore the different options and discuss the best size for a writing journal depending on different needs.
The most common sizes of writing journals
There are quite a few different sizes of writing journals to choose from, including pocket-sized, and on up to gigantic journals that are so large that they cannot be held at all. The most common size is handheld, often referred-to as Medium size, in US measure that would be about 6x9 inches or A5 size. Pocket-sized journals are typically around 3.5 x 5.5 inches or A6, making them a convenient size to carry around in a bag or pocket. The next most-common size in the US would be a desktop or A4 size, typically 9x12 inches. Journals that use “A”-sized paper generally come with 128-144 leaves (256 to 288 writing pages, front & back). Journals that use “B”-sized paper are generally made with higher quality paper and are available in a wider variety of thicknesses, from 80 leaves / 160 writing pages or as many as 500 leaves (1000 writing pages).
|Common Fine Paper Sizes
|XS - extra small
|3" x 4"
|7.5 x 10.5cm
|S - small
|4" x 6"
|10.5 x 15cm
|M - medium
|5" x 7"
|12.5 x 17.5cm
|M - medium
|5-3/4" x 8-1/4"
|15 x 21cm
|M-L - med-lg
|7" x 10"
|17.5 x 25cm
|L - large
|8-1/4" x 11-3/4"
|21 x 30cm
|XL - extra large
|10" x 14"
|25 x 35cm
However the best size for a writing journal really comes down to personal preference, how the journal will be used, and the size of the writing surface required.
- For those who want a journal that is portable and easy to carry around, a pocket-sized (A6 4x6) or Medium (A5 6x9) journal may be the best choice, and certainly the most common. These small to medium size journals are great for jotting down ideas, planning your day, or making quick sketches while on the go.
- For those who want a journal that is more substantial and provides more writing space, a large desktop journal (A4 9x12) may be the best choice. These larger journals are great for desktop use and and provide ample space for illustrations or other creative elements.
- Another factor to consider when choosing the size of a writing journal is the type of writing or artwork that will be created. If the journal will be used for sketching, detailed drawings or complex artwork, a larger journal may be the best choice to accommodate the larger canvas. Similarly, if the journal will be used for lengthy written pieces, a larger journal may be preferable to avoid having to switch to a new page too frequently.
- Size can also refer to journal thickness, which is determined by the paper weight and the number of pages. A journal that will be carried about should be somewhat compact and easy to get in and out of a bag or pack. 1-inch thick journals fit this purpose well with 200-300 writing pages. For desktop use, up to 1000 pages is possible, well-regarded as the World’s Thickest Journals.
Which size of Epica journal should I get?
When it comes to choosing the size of your Epica leather journal, there are several available, ranging from XS size (4x6 inches A7 paper) and all the way up to the World’s Largest Journal, coming in at 20x28 inches (B2 paper).
Each of these sizes offers its own unique advantages, so it's important to consider your individual needs and preferences when choosing the best size for you.
- Medium is the most popular and probably the most widely useful size, measuring about 6x9 inches (A5 paper, 5.8 x 8.3 inches). This size is small enough to be portable but still offers enough writing space to jot down ideas, make notes, or write short pieces. Many people find A5 journals to be a good balance between portability and functionality. This is the most common size for Day Planners.
- The XS and Small journals (A6/A7 paper, about 4x6 or 5x7 inches overall) are a bit or even half the size of a Medium notebook and are perfect for people who write very small and their compact size makes them easy to slip into a pocket or bag, and still offer enough space to write down quick notes or ideas. Some Day Planners available in XS and Small sizes. Another Small size journal is available with B6 paper featuring deckled edges and makes a more elegant statement.
- From a purely ergonomic or aesthetic perspective, the Med-Lg (B5 paper, about 7x9-3/4 inches) size is simply a beautiful journal. Small enough to carry around or slip into a bag/satchel and hefty enough with 300 leaves (600 writing pages) to compose at will and one that will garner admiration from all who cast their eyes on your journal. This is the most common size also for artists seeking a quality sketchbook for their creations.
- Then, we get into desktop journals, beginning with the Large size (letter size, A4 paper, 8.3 x 11.7 inches) and measuring about 9x12 inches overall. This is the perfect desktop journal and available with ruled-lined or blank-unlined pages.
- Extra-Large Italian leather journals are an Epica hallmark and peerless. The XL size starts at 11x15 inches overall and features 95gsm paper with deckled edges, elegant and perfect for sketching, drawing, painting, or as a guestbook. They are available with blank or ruled pages. Beyond this, we find the World’s Largest Journals at 15x20 or even 20x28 inches in overall size. This collection of magnificent journals is available with 320, 600, 720, and even 1000 writing pages. They grace many an artists studio, and are also found around the world in Embassies, manors and of course, in the homes and libraries of discerning writers.
Ultimately, the size you choose should be based on how you plan to use your journal and what feels most comfortable to you, so think about where and how you will use your journal or notebook, select the right size for your needs, and then have it personalized as part of your shopping experience online at the Epica store.